Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Mindset of a Mother

Author's Note - This is a poetic response to the novel, The Bean Trees. When Taylor Greer -- a young adult who has just taken on her independent life -- decides to drive away from her hometown, in search of a new beginning, she is struck with a whole new world: motherhood. The already big change of moving away has just been made tougher, with the new responsibility of caring for a child. She is confused and this poem digs deeper into her mind; what exactly was going through her head during this time?

How can I take on
Yet another responsibility
Of a small human life
When I was just given my own

Brand new to this world
My eyes have barely opened
When another is introduced
The world of motherhood
I was just the child
Now I have to care for one
I just left my mother
Now I have to be one

I am supposed to love this child
Like my own flesh and blood
But how can I do that?
When, truly, she is not

Confusion fills my brain
I am full of questions
What makes a good mother?
Do I have what it takes?

I look into the child's eyes
Beautiful and full of youth
Her gentle hands
Rub against my face
She deserves better
But then again,
I am the only chance she has
And she may be the chance I need

Right now I feel nothing
Maybe I will soon?
All I can do
Is love her
Hold her tight
And never let her go

2 comments:

  1. Great job, Taylor! This poem displays the troubles both Lou Ann and Taylor are now facing as young, single mothers. I love how you talk about what she recently was, and what she has to become inorder to take care of her child. I really enjoyed reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was fantastic Taylor:) I love how you display the idea of motherhood. They way you said that Taylor had just gained her own freedom and now she's responsible for another person's independence. I also love the ending, the way you say "All I can do is love her hold her tight and never let her go." That is great! Awesome job:) <3

    ReplyDelete