Monday, September 21, 2009

John Keats


John Keats was born October 31st, 1795 in London, England. Keats struggled a hard life, at age eight his dad died from a fractured skull and seven years later his mom died of tuberculosis. Although he suffered so much at such a young age, he went on to become a surgeon. Not finding his occupation as a doctor enjoyable, he decided to quit and begin a new career as a poet. His sister and close friend were not in agreement with this and thought that his idea of becoming a writer was foolish and silly - he did not let this stop him. He went on to create some of his famous pieces such as St. Agnes Eve, When I Have Fears, To Homer, and many more. He was one of the key figures in the Romantic movement and spent a lot of time writing about topics that had conflicting themes such as life/death, mortal/ immortal, and separation/connection. Sadly, on February 23rd, 1821, at age 25, John Keats died of tuberculosis -- the same disease that his mother died of. Although his life was short, he made a huge impact in the world of poetry.
When I Have Fears
When I have fears that I may cease to be
Before my pen has gleaned my teeming brain,
Before high-piled books, charact'ry
Hold like rich garners the full-ripened grain;
When I behold, upon the night's starred face,
Huge cloudy symbols of a high romance,
And think that I may never live to trace
Their shadows, with the magic hand of chance;
That I shall never look upon thee more,
Never have relish in the faery power
Of unreflecting love! -- then on the shore
Of the wide world I stand alone, and think
Till Love and Fame to nothingness do sink

1 comment:

  1. Nice so far. As you work with Keats, remember that he is one of the romantic poets, so you can investigate what that means to help shine light on what exactly he was up to.

    ReplyDelete